Hangout Day 2 was definitely the day we were most excited about. Our plan was to get as close to the stage as possible. We were lucky enough to avoid the shuttle and Brianna L's friend RJ came and picked us up. We were there before the gates opened and planned to get in and go straight to the main stage and stake out our spot. While waiting in line you always get to scope out the other attendees. I don't understand how some of the girls that came to Hangout looked soooo good. At this festival it is hot, sandy humid and totally not worth it. So I will let you enjoy my day 2 outfit:
Cowboy hat+America tank+zebra shorts= CLASSY
Comfort is key, a few laughs make it even better! But in all seriousness, there was no way I was going to wear make up, dress up and try and look cute at this festival. We were there to see great music and enjoy ourselves, and that sometimes includes some sacrifices. I would like to share with you my steps on getting to the front of the festival stage:
1. Get there fairly early, we were there EVERYDAY before the gates opened!
2. Patience: Brianna L compared it to one of those contest where you can't take your hand off the car, settle in and get comfortable. You are in it for the long haul.
3. Hold your ground: there were several times I threw down. During Cee-Lo there were 5 of us in the front and this little blond girl walks right in the middle of us. I told her that she was going to have to move before the Avett Brothers started and she looked at me like I was being ridiculous. I said I had been there since 11:30am and she was going to have to move or I would move her. I turned around to talk trash about her to Brianna L and when I turned back she was gone. That is what I call getting it done. Don't mess with a dehydrated, starving, Avett Brothers fan.
4. Rotate out: you are eventually going to have to pee, especially if you are on your 7th Miller Light of the day. This is when your friends come in handy and you rotate out. I was super surprised to see how GREAT the porta pottys were at Hangout. I was never in line and always had toilet paper!
Not a sprint, not a marathon. IT'S AN IRONMAN!
Those mariachi suits must have been SUPER HOT!
Mariachi El Bronx was the first band up on the main stage. I think all mariachi music sounds the same but this band was like badass mariachi (if such thing exists). With songs about ex cons and perverts I don't know how they couldn't be badass. And they get mad props for playing in the heat in those suits! Brianna L. really just wanted them to sing LaBamba, I think she was really disappointed when they didn't :(
After Slightly Stoopid and Brianna L's "crotch in face" experience.
Showing off the AWESOME koozies Brianna L made!
It must take a LOT of work to coordinate all of these performances, and I give the Hangout Fest crew props for doing such a great job, but at times there are going to be issues. Cee Lo Green was supposed to go on and was WAY late. Like 45 minutes late. The owner of the Hangout came out to announce that Cee Lo was late, BUT the FOO FIGHTERS were coming on instead! The Foo Fighters were supposed to headline that night, and had arrived in Gulf Shores the nigth before. Instead of playing their set list they covered a bunch of songs, including Prince's song Darling Nikki and that's when Cee Lo showed up.
Foo Fighters playing School's Out
Cee Lo didn't play a full set, I don't even think he played a full song. He kept cutting them short and moving on to another song. It was like he was trying to squeeze as much in as possible. No one booed or got mad, I think everyone was too pumped from seeing the Foo Fighters!
Cee Lo, he was way fatter in person. 300 lbs to be exact, he told us.
After Cee Lo it got REALLY crowded up front. We had been using our awesome queen sized bed sheet to gain territory. You get to know your neighbors really well when you are camped out up front. The girls next to us were really nice, however the boys on the other side were interesting. At one point we looked over and one of them was sitting on the ground picking at the bottom of his foot. Then he used a lighter to burn his foot. Then he used part of the lighter to DIG into his foot. THEN HE TOOK A BITE OF HIS PIZZA. WITH HIS DIRTY FEET HANDS. See my reaction in the picture below:Yes I am making the "gag me" face.
NOTHING, not even foot boy, was going to ruin the next act for me. I had been waiting ALL DAY to see the Avett Brothers. I have seen them six times before, but every time is AMAZING. They crushed "Shame" and "Pretty Girl from Cedar Lane" and they played "At the Beach" which was perfect for the venue. Joe the cellist was RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. I could have touched him. We were so close.
I and Love and Them :)
I was on such a high after the Avett Brothers I almost forgot that I hadn't had anything to eat that day. The Avett crowd was huge and then crowd was getting bigger for the Foo Fighters. Briana V, bless her soul, went to get us pizza before the Foo Fighters. I don't know how she got back to the front, especially with three pieces of pizza and three beers, but she did it. After refueling, we were ready for some Foo Fighters. I literally have no words to descirbe this show. There were 35,000 people at Hangout and we were in front for this show. I will let the pictures speak for themselves.
Their show ended with fireworks. Again, AWESOME. Then we began the long task of trying to leave. Walking through the sand back we were SHOCKED at how much trash was left behind. It was like a mine field of beer cans. As we were leaving a tshirt vendor started trying to sell Brianna L a shirt and called her an 'old school teacher' which was hilarious and definitely didn't make her want to buy one. Thank God for RJ again because he helped us avoid the shuttle lines and drove us home. We all passed out and woke up to do it all again for day 3!













No comments:
Post a Comment