Monday, June 6, 2011

RELI Adventure!

Hello Friends!
Sorry I have been MIA. I spent last weekend at Duke University for the South East Association of Housing Officers Regional Entry Level Institute. RELI was an amazing four day experience that helped me figure out where my career was going. There were 32 housing entry level participants like myself. We were put in groups of 4 and assigned a "faculty" member, who was an upper level housing officer to help mentor us and answer our questions while we were there. My "cluster" was great and my faculty member was so helpful. I got to make some new friends and see some old friends.

Not so great picture of the Duke chapel, BEAUTIFUL BUILDING!

When I applied for RELI in March I filled my application with job searching questions; stressing about how I didn't know when or how I was supposed to look for my new job. But when I got to RELI I realized that I was more concerned about how I was going to job search with a husband in the same field. The female faculty members were so helpful and I really admire their strong sense of self and aspire to have balance in my career like they have done.
The common book was The Precious Present by Spencer Johnson, which was a very quick read but great message. The book was about appreciating the moment you are in right now. Don't worry about the future and don't regret the past. Life is best spent in the present. I have heard the phrase "Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans." That was a common theme throughout RELI. I now have more appreciation of where I am and I am going to focus on enjoying it more.
My faculty member, who is the director of the physical plant at his campus, left inspiring quotes in my box during the week and I especially like this one: “Be gentle with yourself, learn to love yourself, to forgive yourself, for only as we have the right attitude toward ourselves can we have the right attitude toward others.” He also made a CD of recommended music from all of our cluster four members, which I have been listening to in my office on this manic Monday!
Ok, so it wouldn’t be a Horan trip without ONE good story to write home about. I was at Duke with one of my favorite UGA colleagues, MDM. We got to Duke the night before RELI started, so the next morning we had some time to walk around before our day started. MDM and I both have significant others and wanted to go to the bookstore to get them a gift. While checking out we noticed a very tall gentleman being escorted to the front register with a plethora of Duke merchandise. Another man noticed this tall guy and asked for his picture to be taken. I had NO CLUE who this tall guy was, my guess was a basketball player, but I don't follow Duke basketball (Go Hokies!). MDM asked the man who the tall guy was and he replied Grant Hill! MDM and I then proceeded to stalk Mr. Hill through the bookstore. Afraid that campus security would be called we gave up and went on to RELI. Needless to say, it was a great start to RELI.
 Duke Housing was a GREAT host committee. We stayed on Few Quad in a residence hall. I think Duke's campus reminds of Hogwarts, the Gothic architecture is beautiful. Also, I don't think I have ever eaten so well in my life! The whole institute was catered by an on campus restaurant that has sustainable and organic practices and gets all of its products from NC. REALLY YUMMY FOOD!
More Duke architecture


Informational poster in the residence hall. I learned about some of the Duke traditions that exist, like the sanctioned burning of the benches after wins against UNC. However, in order to control the chaos of burning the benches, they remind students not to burn unsanctioned furniture. This all seemed a little "WVU Morgantownish" to me, but I won't judge.

I loved being back in NORTH CAROLINA!! We had a free night and a bunch of us went out in Durham! I was surprised at all the development that has gone on in downtown Durham and wished I could have seen more. We went to a restaurant in the American Tobacco District area called Tylers. Great pub, food wasn't stellar but lots of beer options. We took the free Bull City Connector bus which goes straight to Duke's campus to downtown. I would love to move back to the Triangle area!
I left RELI feeling more self-assured and not stressed about my five year plan. While it is important to be thinking about that plan and to be intentional, it should not dominate my life now. I am so grateful for the connections I made at RELI. There are some awesome professionals out there; I would love to work with all of them!

My certificate!

In wedding news: I have a post coming from Memorial Day weekend (I'm waiting on people to post some pictures first, I didn't have a camera) and my SURPRISE bridal shower and bachelorette party. I HAVE THE MOST AMAZING FRIENDS EVER!!! I got an email from my "pseudo" wedding planner Jen and my Mom. We are wrapping up the finals details. THANK GOD the FH finally got a suit! I was getting a little bit worried. I am also working on "after party" plans with one of my girlfriends. Hopefully we can plan something fun for our friends after the reception! Also, my dad is such an amazing man, he is making our favors. If I get a picture I will post to give you a sneak peek! My parents went up to the venue this weekend and sent me some phenomenal pictures (I have never actually seen the place in person). I am getting so excited! 24 days left!!

No comments:

Post a Comment