I married a Yankee. And I am ok with that. Since being married I have learned a lot about Amish, Polish and Pennsylvania Dutch culture. Mostly involving food that I have never heard of or tried. I love visiting PA and seeing his family. We started our Christmas break in PA with his family this year. On our first day visiting we went to the Allentown Farmers Market with Kyle's dad. I love my father in law!
The first new food I learned about was a kiffle. I asked Kyle, "What's a kiffle?" And the lady standing next to me said, "It is delicious and you will love it!" Think mini cannoli with jam filling.
The farmers market had tons of butchers and delis. Below are some lovely pickled beet eggs, which I tried Christmas day at Kyle's Aunt's house. Interesting....
Kyle's first stop was the candy store, and the dozen types of licorice. He bought a pound! They had a cute train that went around the top of the store.
The trip got really interesting when I found Tongue Souse, aka head cheese, aka MEAT JELLY! I am NOT that adventurous.
My favorite part of the whole market were the bakeries. This was my first experience with Shoo-fly pie. Very delicious. Oh and the BEST cheesecake I have ever had.
The trip to the farmers market was successful: wasabi peanuts, carrot cake, cheesecake, licorice, beef sticks and tomato pie. I think the other shoppers thought I was weird because I kept asking what things were, but I don't care. I had a great time!!!!






No comments:
Post a Comment