Friday, January 11, 2013

Welcome back!


I have not posted to my blog since November 30th. That is a long time. I had many many commitments and priorities much bigger than this blog during the month of December, including a two week vacay to see family.But I am going to share something, I am actually struggling over the blog. I feel in a blog rut. Lacking my own creativity and originality. And I was asking myself, why blog at all? I have also struggled with this blog content being all been about positive life things or shallow things. But I think the lack of posting happened because I don't want to lack authenticity. Sharing struggles is just as important as sharing celebrations. So I am going to recap the last month and a half in quick bullet points.
  • End of November/ beginning of December I applied and interviewed for a new position at my current institution. The position was a promotion and a shift in responsibilities. I let myself get really excited about this new opportunity. And then, I didn't get the offer. I was upset and frustrated. The fall semester was really draining for me for some reason and I have no idea why. I just felt so tired from work and a little bored of some of the things I was doing. I thought the new opportunity would help pull me out of the funk, and then I didn't get it. I was feeling even more down in December after that.  
The part of my job I never stop loving... working with these wonderful ladies!
  • But then my brother and sister in law got Kyle and I a joint birthday present: a nights stay plus meals at the Cheateau Elan resort in North Georgia. This break couldn't have come at a better time. We booked a couples message, enjoyed a wine tasting and great food. One of the best birthday present s ever.
  • Kyle and I left mid- December to go stay with my family for a week and then his family for a week. I was really excited about being away from work and recharging my batteries. Highlights:
    • Spending time with my parents, brother and sister in law
    • Getting to spend some time with great friends
    • Christmas traditions
Dad's homemade cinnamon buns, Christmas morning tradition.

New family photo!
    • Gigi's wagon from my parents for Christmas
My dad pimpped Gigi's ride
    • Gigi seeing snow for the first time
    • Spending time with the in laws 
    • Going to the Allentown Farmer's Market and eating a kiffel
    • Quality time with our nieces
Peeps Festival
  • After all the driving from our break (30+ hours) I returned to Athens still tired and not ready to go back to work. It was a short first week, but PACKED with a conference, training and then Saturday I was at state wide officer training for Zeta. I just felt like I wasn't ready to return. Then last Sunday I watched a Gilmore Girls marathon (I got the full box set as a Christmas gift for Kyle) and ate Chinese take out and magically it fixed everything. Well not everything, but returning to work Monday didn't feel as bad. I have established a routine this week and feel more like my self.
So excited to work with this amazing group of students!

  • Finally, January will mark the one year mark of Kyle and I trying to start a family. Kate from The Small Things Blog posted yesterday her own struggle and when I read it I felt like she was speaking for me. I have had so much anger over this and I just need to let go. I know being angry or frustrated is definitely not helping the situation. And I need to stop thinking of it as "trying." My type A personality and control freak tendencies need to settle down. I don't know what the future holds, but letting go and not obsessing over this one aspect is freeing and that is how I want to move forward. 
So there is the recap. I know, it's a lot. But life has ups and downs and I feel like I should be able to share it all. So here is to REAL blogging in 2013!

6 comments:

  1. Keep up the blogging! It's how I keep up with your life and feel connected to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey nice scarf in the first pic ;) so happy you blogged. i hope it will inspire my butt to get back in gear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my brianna scarf :) I'm still waiting on your return to blogging post!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE Real Blogging my friend. I think it's easier to relate to people if they don't make their life appear perfect. We all have struggles.

    ReplyDelete