Saturday, May 21, 2011

Hangout Day 1 Recap: UPDATED

Hangout has been an ADVENTURE so far! After spending the morning on the beach we packed up and headed to the shuttle site. The bus that picked us up HAD NO AIR CONDITIONING. I thought we were going to DIE riding there. But once we got off the bus it was actually cool outside. If you remember my picture from my last post and my ensemble, you know what I look like (The Brian(n)a's had no problem finding ME in the crowed). TRUST I blended in. After getting off the bus we went and stood in line to wait to get in. While waiting we got to see some of my festival favorites THE HULA HOOP GIRLS! I love it. The people in the super large line were so much fun, even though we were in the hot sun, waiting anxiously for the festival gates to open, you cant help but LOVE the free spirits around you!
When we got in we went to the Hangout Stage and saw Kristie Lee, awesome.  had never heard her before, perfect way to start the festival, then we went to across the festival and saw Brandi Carlile. LOVE LOVE LOVE her, if I could be a musician I would want to be her! However, my favorite act of the day was GRACE POTTER AND THE NOCTURNALS!


Oh my goodness, blew my mind! I think I have a new girl crush. This band ROCKS! And I loved when they covered Heart, Crazy On You. Afterwards was My Morning Jacket, this was the first time during the day I actually felt crowded, BUT we were literally 20 feet from the stage so of course it was going to be crowded.


We did not stay for Widespread Panic, I don't think we were going to be able to make it across the festival to the other stage. So we caught the shuttle home. Our driver passed our stop, so we had to walk an extra mile. No biggie, I was still amped from all the awesome music we heard that day! (I may or may not have stopped behind a bush on the side of the road to pee because I wasn't going to make it home, however, this can not be confirmed.)
My only picture from the day.

After our first day, here are some of our Hangout essentials:
1. Nalgene bottle- even though when we first got there the water station water was HOT, it was necessary to have the bottle, because you could buy $3 water and put it in the bottle, so much easier to carry.
2. SHEET- I'm talking bed sheet you can put down and sit on. This saved space, and kept us close to the stage!
3. Cash- super important to make it easy to buy beer ($6 for a 16 oz Miller Light) 
4. Sunscreen- burning will RUIN your experience. Reapply reapply reapply! My mom would be proud I made it through the first day unscathed! 
5. Hat and sunglasses- it is bright on those white sand beaches!
Sorry I don't have any pictures (it was kind of hard to keep my phone out), I hope to take some today! Todays line up: Civil Twilight, Slightly Stoopid, Dead Confederate, Cee Lo Green, Primus, AVETT BROTHERS, The Flaming Lips and Foo Fighters!
Having fun on the Gulf!
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment