Monday, July 18, 2011

Maddy Monday! Feed Me!

People think I am crazy when I tell them I make my dogs food. And I actually have my mother to blame for that. Awhile ago there was a huge story about how some dog food manufacturers were putting plastic and other harmful things in dog food. Well that was enough for my mom to stop buying dog food and start making her own.
Maddy is NOT a picky eater. She is a glutton. There have been several times we have caught her on the kitchen table looking for food. And you can never forget the time she went in the pantry and got the Chips Ahoy cookies; when mom found her one whole row was gone! Oh! And the time she ate 5 huge fiber crackers and was bloated for a week. For a dog that is only 12 pounds, she sure can eat! And she loves her homemade food.




I have included a copy of her dog food recipe. She has been eating this for years and is in excellent health! I have even inspired some of my friends to start making their own dog food and cookies, it is amazing how creative you can get in the kitchen!
1 pound ground turkey or chicken
1 cup whole grain rice
1 Tablespoon wheat germ
1 Teaspoon brewers yeast
1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon bone meal powder

Cover with water and bring to a boil then cook for 45 minutes or until the water is pretty much gone. Take off the burner. Add a cup of shredded carrots. After the food has cooled add 1 tablespoon flax seed oil. Maddy eats half a cup for breakfast and half a cup for dinner. We freeze half what this recipe yields and save for later.

1 comment:

  1. YAY maddy food!! just made some for bodie last night - he was in heaven :)

    ReplyDelete