Monday, January 14, 2013

2013 Goals

Over the past 15 days I have been thinking about how I am challenging myself, pushing myself and what I can do to change how I am feeling. So I am STILL working on goals for 2013. I know January is half over, but goal setting and reflection takes TIME. And I feel like I don't do it enough. I love the idea of starting over and the refreshing sense the New Year brings.

Wellness
1. Run 250 miles this year- I am loving my Nike+ shoes and app. It definitely helps keep me motivated. I'm at 13 miles so far this year!
2. Run a race- I'm thinking small. Like 5K. There are a lot of local opportunities. I need to find a race that fits me for a first timer. Will keep you posted.

Spiritual
1. Join a small group at church- Submitted my application last week, already in progress!
2. Keep up with my daily devotion- I have apps and books, I just need to find which works for me. I need to establish this as a habit.

Career
1. Apply to the National Housing Training Institute- I think that at this point in my career I would benefit from some intentional career  reflection time.
2. Use: Finding Life Balance & Direction Guided Journaling Experience- My friend Brianna sent this to me, and it leads you through reflections each month. I started last week and have already enjoyed the questions and reflection this  resource is offering.

Relationships
1. Continue to work on communication with Kyle- Before we got married we completed a book and workbook series about marriage. I think it would be interesting to reread some of the information and talk through it just to refresh and reexamine.
2. Work on the relationships with friends that matter most- I will be the first to admit that my friend circle has definitely shrunk over the last few years. It is difficult to maintain relationships at a long distance, but to me some of those relationships are too important to neglect. I hope to work on balancing these the best I can.

Financial
1. SAVE!- I am happy to report that Kyle and I achieved our 2012 financial goal of getting out of credit card debt. Now we need to focus on saving that $$$$$!

Random
1. Read 12 books this year- this is an improvement on the three I read last year (Hunger Games).
2. Volunteer more- I volunteer with a non- profit in Athens and have really enjoyed the work. I was also supposed to begin my provisional period with the Junior League this past fall but due to some other commitments I had to defer for a  year. I am looking forward to picking that back up this fall and getting  involved more with the Athens community. I also am going to start volunteering on Sundays at my church service.

So how can I make sure these happen? My accountability partner is my husband. He helps me a lot with the wellness and financial goals, but I have shared these with him and he is very supportive and helps me focus on what's important. I also plan on using my blog to continue to reflect and share goal updates! I think also setting mini goals is helpful to see success. Last week my goal was to make it to the gym every morning and I did it! This week my goal is to pull together a reading list, start my personal statement for NHTI and do my devotion each day.

Good luck to everyone in there pursuit off keeping resolutions!

3 comments:

  1. this post is wonderful motivation for me to FINISH the blog post i have saved just like this. the key word is finish, not sure why that is SO difficult these days!

    love you, mean it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this post! Kudos to you for categorizing your resolutions! When I moved to Charlotte a few months ago, I did the same thing... I joined the Junior League, joined a church, and spent more time with my family. So now, New Year's resolutions are all about sticking to it and getting more involved! Thanks for putting it into perspective! Awesome goals - you rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you rock! And I am glad the transition to Charlotte went well! I need to come visit :) You are super close now!

      Delete