Friday, January 3, 2014

2014... the year of the present.

I hope everyone is having a WONDERFUL new year. Kyle and I spent NYE at home. He made a yummy dinner, I got some movies from Redbox. Very low key. That's how we like it and I wouldn't have it any other way. I feel like working in education I get the chance at a "new year" twice a year. Once in January and then again in August when the school year starts. I have always appreciated these opportunities for reflection and renewal.
Last year I set goals for a bunch of different areas of my life for my new year resolutions. I was really proud that I followed up on those goals a couple of times (every three months) to report progress and remind me what I had set for myself. This year I am taking a different approach to the whole resolution thing. I am going to try and live by the motto, be in the present.

 
I feel like so often I am dwelling in the past, or even more frequently looking to the future. Not only is this futile, but is causes anxiety and stress. Two things I really don't want or need in my life right now. In five short weeks there will be a new human on this planet that will be relying on me and I don't want to miss one moment with him because I am stuck in the past or future. I want to be present, with him.
 

Thinking about the transitions that will happen with our family, my job, my body and my life it will be very easy to get stuck in the past or future. I want to remind myself to stay in the present moment. Enjoy the little moments, be grateful for what is happening in my life and take it step by step, day by day.  I think this motto will set me up for a great 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment