Friday, May 13, 2011

Athens is "Empty"

Living in a college town you become accustom to the ebb and flow in population. However, there is none so drastic as the summer population exodus and I love it! Don't get me wrong, I miss the students and the normal buzz of work, but the town just seems less crowded. Students usually ask "What are you going to do when everyone is gone? Athens must be a ghost town!" Well naive student, you couldn't be more wrong! Life goes on in Athens even when you aren't here, and some might argue it is even better! There is parking EVERYWHERE and never a wait at restaurants. We still get great music and June means AthFest! AthFest is an arts and music festival that happens at the end of June and highlights local artists and musicians. Downtown is transformed and there are tons of outdoor shows and activities. To learn more check out their website: http://athfest.com/
And while we are talking about living in a college town I would like to suggest some reading to any higher education nerds. The American College Town is a book by Blake Gumprecht that I read in grad school and absolutely loved. Gumprecht is actually a geography professor that has a special appreciation for college towns. Athens is ALL OVER his book and is highlighted in the chapter "Paradise for Misfits."
With the end of the school year comes the closing of my building. All 900 freshmen women move out and I get the pleasure, along with my boss, to go through all the rooms that have damage and document things. Eight floors and five hours later, I am $1.20 richer from picking up spare change off the floor. I am amazed every year at how messy some of these people are. Honestly, how long do you have to leave a piece of paper on the floor for it to adhere itself permanently to the ground?!  And who thought it was a good idea to stick gum all over the wall next to their bed?!
When I'm not surveying damage I am saying goodbye to the seniors of our building. Two of my students are graduating this year, but will be returning to Athens in the fall! Last year was the 225th anniversary of UGA and they had fireworks at graduation, that's going to be tough to beat this year. I am sure however, there will be plenty of celebrating downtown tonight!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment