I am grateful for everything she did to help raise me. She put her career on hold completely to be a stay at home mom. She helped me adjust to a new house, school, town every time we moved. She motivated me to be my best. Now that I have a career I feel like I have even more appreciation for what she gave up. I have friends that are new moms and they talk about the struggle of parenting and working. I watched my mother navigate this never ending battle for women. It is hard to have everything. My mom went to law school full time at age 38. Had her own firm at 41. And has accomplished so much. I have learned that you make the choice that is right for you. If that means parenting full time or working full time. You do what you have to do for your family. And you do it with no regrets.
Part of growing up your realize that your parents are actual people. I mean they have interests beyond going to your swim meets, helping you with homework, feeding you and shuttling you around all of God's green Earth. My mom is so intelligent, funny, an amazing bargain shopper, reads faster than anyone I know, loves to change her hair cut and color, can complete the hard crossword puzzle in the paper, loves animals (esp. Shadow and Maddy) and has passed along her love of cooking to me.
My mom has become more like a best friend to me. She is the first person I call when something goes wrong and I need advice. If you ask her, she will tell you that being our mom is the best job ever. That she wouldn't change anything in the world. That she loved being at home with us. But now with children grown, I want her to now have everything she wants. She deserves it more than anyone I know.




No comments:
Post a Comment